Ganoderma gradually became more and more known to the Western countries, whereas it had been widely spread In Asia.
Ganoderma has been known to the Far Ease. especially Japan, Korea and China for 4000 years. Used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) especially, and has reached a closely similar importance as ginseng. It was mentioned even during the Han Dynasty (200 B.C. until 200 AD.) by name of Ungzhi. Emperor Wu of Han thought so highly of Ganoderma to consider it one of the tools for immortality, thus keeping it Inside the castle walls.
Regular and scheduled use enhances immune functions, helps recovery of the worsened health. especially important in cancer treatment of stomach, pancreas. colon, liver as supplementary treatment. and also to reduce side effects of chemotherapy.
There are series of publications about Ganoderma used as adjuvant therapy for hepatitis, carcinoma, diabetes, leukemia, althoughmostcas eslack control testing. which is elementary factor co be validated as proof. However, in the last decade there have been various sophisticated reports appear about the therapeutic potential of Ganoderma.
Numerous clinical and preclinical examinations certify positive pharmacologic effects. According to pub- lished reports the effects include anti inflammatory, analgesic, radioprotective, chemo preventive, anticancerous, anti arteriosclerosis effects, but also conclude cases which prove it to help with sleeping, to reduce coagulation, blood sugar and blood lipids, also to protect liver,to prevent stomach ulcer, antioxidant effect, to red uce free radicals and antibacterial. antiviral (includ- ing HIV), and antiaging effects.
Main componentsin the fully grown fruit body.
Terpenoids (more than 140 of them have been identified sofar, especially different types of Triterpenes), Carbohydrates (especially immunomodulant Polysaccharides), Proteins, Nucleotides, other (e.g. Serols, Cerebrosides)
Main componentsin mycelium
Terpenoids,Lactones,Alkaloids, Polysaccharides, Serins (Nitrogen free Polysaccharides)
Important components of Ganoderma:
- Organic Germanium (Ge): Can increase the oxygen absorbed by the blood up to 1.5 times: can promote metabolism: prevent tissue degeneration. According to the research of Dr Kazuhiko Asai, Ganoderma contains 800 – 2000 p.p.m. of germanium. This is 4-6 times more than ginseng.
- Polysaccharides: These can improve the body’s immune system, eliminate viruses. Japanese pharmaceutical companies have refined it to medical quality and it has been approved by the Koseisho Health Department in Japan for insurance medicine.
- Its bitter taste. It is under constant study by the Japanese medical and pharmaceutical fields. The efficacy is a result of the interrelation of germanium and polysaccharides. Some plants may contain one or the other, but Ganoderma is much more effective. The combination of components is different from other plants and all of the components must be preserved to insure efficiency.
Medical Principles of Ganoderma:
According to Dr Shigeru Yuji’s clinical experiments, the reason Ganoderma is effective is because of its basic functions.
- Lowers cholesterol in the blood and the amount of free fat.
- Reduces blood sugar level; to restore pancreas functions.
- Lowers blood lipids and stabilizes red cell membrane.
- Due to Ganoderma containing Adenosine, it can lower platelet angulation, and lyses thrombi and prevent thrombogenesis.
- Improves the function of the cortex of the adrenal glands to maintain endocrine balance.
- Elevates the natural healing ability of the body, allows the body to establish a strong immune system.
- Prevents tissue cell degeneration.
- MPrevents senility, maintaining a youthful constitution.
- Lowers the side effects of antihypertensive drugs.
- Prevents organ degeneration.
- Prevents allergy caused by antigens, because it inhibits the histamine releasing mast cell.
- Prevents and treats cancer and inhibits cancer cell metastasis.
- Normalizes to prevent tissue degeneration.
- Prevents sudden death of cancer patients caused by embolism.
- Inhibits thrombogenesis and lyses thrombi on the wall of surrounding tissues and removes blockade of cancer medication, increases these drugs’ effectiveness.
- Relieves pain caused by cancer.
For more information and bibliography:
A pecsetviaszgomba (Ganoderma lucidum). Compiled by Dr. Szabo, Laszlo Gy., Dr. Babulka, Peter; Fodi Attila. Budapest: DXN Europe Ltd. 20 II. 30 p. [in Hungarian] Dr. Lelley, jan: The healing power of mushrooms: Mycology in service of health. Translated by Dr.Lelley, Janos. Budapest: Mezogazda Kiado, 1999. (Die Heilkraft der Pilze). 155 p, ISBN 9639121746 [in Hungarian]